Saturday, June 26, 2010

1st cooking here at St Theresa Convent

On 10 June, I did my first solo cooking for 3 person. It was a good experience. Over here, the sisters cook whatever is available in the fridge. Unless really not enough, then we go to the little shop outside to buy.

So, as you can see, I cooked 3 dishes with rice. Firstly, it’s the fried eggs, some Kua fried with onions and garlic (the green dish at the back), crispy brown rice (ha ha, obviously it’s not well cooked) and chicken meat cooked with carrots.

Not bad right!! Tell you, I walked in and out the kitchen for at least 4 times because I couldn’t estimate how long I need to prepare or cook. Anyway, I manage to produce some food on the table.

My 2nd attempt was to cook for 5 paxs (2 meals). That was a challenge… I felt that I cannot be thrown there to cook for so many all by myself. So, few days before, I seek SOS help from another sister. She was nice to agree and even plan the dishes. So I prepared and cook the vegetables and she help me with the meat. She would teach me what to do with all the preparation and correct my way of cooking. I greatly appreciate that because it’s better to learn the correct way from the beginning.

So that’s my 2 attempts while the main cook was away. Now, I continue my job as a onion, garlic and potato peeler, with another glamorous duty as a dish washer.. hee hee.

Working in the kitchen is not about how glamorous it is, it’s really cooking with love for the community because I’m part of the community. So even I’m a dishwasher, I have to wash well…. but… the truth is all these are not my favourite things to do, so I had to struggle a little by forcing myself to do it well because I’m part of the community.

No comments: