Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My body is not MINE

“I live now not with my own life but with the life of Christ who lives in me. The life I now live in this body I live in faith.” (Galatian 2:20)

I would like to share a little reflection I had on 2nd reading, 10th Ordinary Sunday, 13 June 2010.

I realized that I live now not for myself but for Christ and my community. When I’m not taking good care of myself, I’m just being irresponsible to Christ and my community.

That led me to recalled what I learnt about ‘the evil of self will’. Sometimes, being knowledgeable, being attentive is good but when pride enters, evil doings and thoughts will take place. When I allow pride to enter, I have destroyed this body that God had loan it to me.

Suddenly, I realized that my body is not mine! And therefore, if only I can love something that doesn’t belong to me, then I can love others.

Woh! I was overwhelmed.

So I took a break…… then I made another discovery.

I found myself over protecting my body from things that will not harm the soul…eg Dirtiness. It was scary cause, I was all along protecting from something that can be wash away easily. What cannot be so easily cleanse is the soul and not my physical body.

With that thought, I walked out of the house into the garden. Walking to and fro… and decided to go to the Jambu tree. So I stared at it for a long time, should I dirty myself and put in some effort to wrap the flowers (prevent bee from stinging) since this is the only tree I know what to do with the flower? Actually, it’s not a very dirty job, it’s just having to climb up the ladder, putting my hands and head into the branches of leaves, which I don’t like. Anyway, finally, I did it and I was happy.

2 comments:

Nick said...

Gal 2:20 is one of my fave verses when I read the Bible so many years ago. It was also one of those verses that made me stopped going to church because I thought I was "unworthy" ... such innocence then or was it a convenient excuse (of my unwillingness to change) I wonder.

Today, I am baptised and Gal 2:20 still stick out... a CONSTANT REMINDER that we are asked to be. And I am enjoying it. Contrary to what I believed (so many years ago) was the restraint this verse imposed on us, I have found so much freedom and joy living this way.

And yes, sister, it is also wonderful to get our physical body soiled by God's creation every now and then. So, keep climbing trees and see the world from nature;s perspective.


Blessings,
Nicholas Lim

Angeline said...

Hi Nicholas,

Thank you for your sharing. It affirms me how scripture can change our lives and gives us a new perspective.

God loves you
Angeline