Saturday, September 11, 2010

1st Ramadan and Hari Raya experience in Kuala Terenggnu, Malaysia

Ha ha, WAIT! Don’t get mistaken! I am not so holy as to fast for 30 days with our Muslim brothers and sisters. Here, I would like to share with all of you my first Ramadan experience in Malaysia. 

The spirit of the Ramadan month here in KT was high. In KT, I would feel the spirit of unity. They used fireworks as the tool to welcome the start of Ramadan. On the eve, there were 7 shots of the fireworks shooting up into the sky to tell everyone that Ramadan would be starting the next day. Every morning about 5.30am (varies daily), there would be 2 shots of the fireworks. One to tell everyone to get ready to stop eating, and the other in a 5 minute interval to tell people to start fasting. And in the evening, there would be one shot for Buka Kuasah. 

Since the beginning of Ramadan, I could hear people playing with firecrackers. Although, it’s banned in Malaysia, still people are playing it opening. It’s ???? how they get them? What sadden me most, when I read about children/teenagers getting hurt, blinded or losing their lives by the firecrackers. Theses people in the end either have to celebrate their Raya in the hospital or in solemn.

Raya is also a time where many Muslims will Balik Kampong. It’s a time for reunion and seeking forgiveness. I had an opportunity to watch a programme on Asian Food Channel about Ramadan in Malaysia and Singapore. I was really touched by the whole spirit of fasting and Raya. It’s a very beautiful religion if well practiced. I even felt little ashamed with myself for making so little sacrifice for the redemption of my sinfulness.

On Raya day, 10 September, we went to the Hari Ray Aidilfitri Open House at Menteri Besart’s house (chief minister house). It was a great experience for me. The atmosphere there was very joyous. There were not only thousands of Muslims, but also the Chinese, the Indians and even foreigners. There was a long queue to wish the minister and children gets a “green packet” from the minister. Afterwhich, they proceed for a lunch reception. Everyone there gets to eat. Of course there were people like myself going there going there just to eat and experience the festive season. So… of course head straight for the food lah… !!! It was the generosity of the minister that draws the crowd, however, in such occasion, we always see the ugly side of things… what I meant was food wastage, grabbing and greediness. 

In the afternoon, we visited one of the house in Batu Rakki. It’s the house of our kindergarten’s uniform tailor. He’s deaf and dumb. Unfortunately, we didn’t get to see him as he went back to the kampong. But we got to speak to some of his children. It was experiential for me to step into a ‘modern’ low-cost Muslim’s house. They have all the necessities, but I could still feel that it’s a very old house. I don’t think I can leave in it. During the time spent with the family, I was not deaf but dumb. I could not make any conversation because I couldn’t speak Bahasa. So, all I could do was to try to figure out what they are saying by their actions and the little Bahasa I know. 

I have yet to experience the real real Kampong life yet. I hope I would have the opportunity one day.

No comments: