Thursday, March 11, 2010

1st work day….SUNDAY!!!

Sunday, 7 March was my 1st day at work at St Theresa’s Kindergarten, Kuala Terengganu. Had to tell myself priest works on Sunday too, as motivation. Moreover, never had such easy job, 4 hrs, 2 days a week, shouldn’t be complaining.

After being introduced to all the teachers, I started at the 4 years old class. They were all looking strangely at me, very curiously kept turning back to look. Children here converse in their own language usually, mandarin or bahasa, eventhough they can understand some English. I had some difficulties understand them not because of language problem but their accents. My mission is to speak to them in English ONLY.

My main task is to teach Music and Movement to the whole school (8 classes) for 30 minutes. What’s that compared to 17 classes X 3 times a wk at Catholic KG!!! So I went to the hall, had to look for the cupboard keys and found only cassette tapes and a Hi-Fi set. Thank goodness they had a keyboard. I was telling myself, oh no…. don’t have instruments, no big collections of CDs, no lesson plan…. How to teach?? I panicked for awhile…… I want to call for help!!! No computer to burn disc!!! Ai yo… how how….

So, with limited resources, I calm myself down to think how I can teach. Well, as I thought, the Lord reminded me that my 2 years of experience at Catholic Kindergarten would have given me the ability to teach eventhough resources are little. This is being missionary, to use whatever that is available wherever I am.

So I planned out my lesson for the 1st class starting on 21st March. Thankfully, I also managed to find the disc I helped to compile for the school 2 years ago. That would help me in my other lessons.

Ok.. Retreats starts from 14th March… please pray for me.

No comments: